To obtain a reading copy, send me an email at email@example.com with the following information. Please provide ALL information requested below.
1. Your full name and your organization (theater company, school or other group). If you are a high school or college student, please include your teacher/professor's name.
2. A snail mail address and phone number for your organization.
3. When and where the production would be, and the number of performances.
4. When do you expect to make a decision about using my play?
5. Can you receive attachments as PDF files? (It's a free download--link below.) A non-printable PDF reading copy is free. If you can't read PDF files, I can mail you a copy of the play ($10 fee includes copying and postage). Email me for a mailing address to which to send your check.
6. Please tell me how you found me and my work (I'm listed on certain websites, and it's always good to know, for both them and me, whether they're effective).
7. A statement that you understand that production of my work requires the payment of a royalty. See the note about royalties on the Plays for Production page.
About The Play
Dark Comedy. 1 male, 1 female, 1 either. 35 minutes. Suitable for college and older performers.
Premiered at Harvard University. Winner of the Green Theatre (UK) New Playwrights Competition and honorable mention in the Moving Arts Premiere One Act Competition and the Pittsburgh New Works Festival.
College freshman Eric has been having an affair with Susan, his Shakespeare professor. He goes to the library to obtain Cliffs Notes for the paper for which she refuses to give him an extension. Jane, an ex-librarian, takes him hostage and threatens to blow up the library. As the Police Captain outside becomes increasingly and absurdly callous and eventually sets the library on fire with Eric and Jane inside, Eric must confront his own fears and self-doubt as he relives his affair with Susan and deals with the situation inside the library.
Study With Me! Want to study with me? Sign up for my online Introduction to Playwriting courses through Screenwriters University. New course starts June 20th!
Upcoming Guest Artist Visits I'm excited to be returning to the Asian Festival of Children's Content in Singapore in late May, and during this trip, I will also be a guest at the Australian International School in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) and then heading on to Yokohama International School in the Tokyo area.
The Locker Next 2 Mine Now Available My dramedy about teen suicide and dealing with loss, The Locker Next 2 Mine, is now available in both full-length and one-act (ideal for competition) versions. The full-length version had its world premiere at The Randolph School in Huntsville (AL) in November, and the one-act version had its premiere at Soquel High School in Santa Cruz (CA) in February. You could stage the next production!
Though the one-act version, available from Playscripts, stands on its own (and is perfect for competition!), this play was always intended to be a full-length composed of three acts: Rumors of Polar Bears, Ursa Major and Northern Lights. Look for the other two plays in the cycle sometime in 2013.
My Rock Star Can Beat Up Your Boy Band:Look for this one-act comic whodunit in 2013...